11/6/11

GET READY FOR CHRISTMAS: MEET THE HUMBLE PINECONE

THE HUMBLE PINECONE
TAKES CENTER STAGE FOR CHRISTMAS

I love a 'natural' look.
A look of fresh greens, berries and pinecones,
with perhaps a touch of frost....
That more often translates into faux greens,
faux berries and some fake snow or icy glitter touches
but the pinecones are real
and they are the star of this post....

So Let's Get Started,
here are some ideas I've been collecting - using pinecones
because they are iconic
and beautiful
and inexpensive..

Good Housekeeping
these long narrow pinecones caught my eye
I love that they are hanging as an ornament, with silver baubles
and a little silver paint
how simple to make,
a large silver bead at the top attached with wire
(add a hanging loop)
and one or more large beads wired to the bottom
(add a chandelier crystal for extra sparkle)
and spray some with krylons mirror finish silver spray
or touch the edges with glue or mod podge and dust with glitter
(I can't wait to do this!)

So you  may have noticed that pinecones are BIG this year
you can count on seeing them everywhere -
these are a little more simple, hung with ribbon
I'd probably have to add some sparkle - you can never have too much sparkle :)

centsationalgirl.com

Smaller pinecones, silvered or glittered
act as both vase filler (with clear glass balls) and ornaments on branches

and how sweet is this? - so simple
ribbon, wire, pinecones
glitter is optional


thehappyheathen.blogspot.com

there are a couple of factors that make this vignette yummy -
the mini pinecone topiaries
(created with an egg cup and small silver vase)
the spray snow or flock on the glass domes
and on the pinecones themselves


pottery barn

and as centerpieces, these are adorable
love the little silver containers
and glittery stars
a few votives and silver balls
and pinecones big and small
and it can go from casual to elegant
with the simple change of the color and style of
the runner and votives

I'm a little bit in love with these pinecone rosettes
a styrofoam ball is the base
floral picks keep the pinecones in place
it's like a lovely bouquet of pinecones
and looks wonderful with the greens


espaciohogar.com

that same rosette can be hung from ribbon as a kissing ball...

or embellished a little with ribbon
and some shiny ornaments


bhg.com

i love this pinecone chandelier
just think how sparkly it could be
with a little more of the crystals


pinecones make a pretty sweet garland for a staircase
(that's a lot of brown for me, I may need to add some green,
or some frostiness)


and I love them nestled in the base of this urn
with pine boughs and lighted twigs
(both natural and romantic)

a simple but festive swag
created from your favorite holiday ribbon
and pinecones
think of the possibilities!



ideashomeconcept.blogspot.com

like the back of the chairs at the dining table (works for Thanksgiving, too)



bhg.com

this is so festive and simple



familyfun.go.com

brushed with paint - fall hues
or touch with white for Christmas
and add sparkle with glitter if desired
but hang with really fun ribbon!


what a great way to dress up a window
simple pinecones with ribbon...

southernaccents.com
pinecones go with garland like milk goes with cookies
they make each other better
this is how I like to create garland
oozing with all kinds of greens,  berries, pinecones and is that feathers?



myhomeideas.com

and I would love to do this to a mirror
so woodsy and elegant

another simple garland
pinecones
painted wooden beads (you choose the color)
twig bundles
cinnamon sticks


twoshadesofpink.blogspot.com

the big fat ends of pinecones were removed for this garland
they look like flowers - wooden beads form the centers
but if you are like me, you are already imagining buttons, rhinestones, etc. as centers

countryliving.com

or how about some frosty blue spray paint for a wintry look?



bhg.com

this looks amazing, but I'd hate to throw it away after the holidays
do they even make faux kumquats?


danielleisnesting.blogspot.com

I like the mix of painted and plain pinecones in this wreath


songbirdnesting.com



Pinecones look wonderful on the tree
I especially love the glittered ones



speckled-egg.blogspot.com

they look amazing on the tree
and such an inexpensive ornament



Pottery Barn




urbancomfort.typepad.com

they are also great as bowl or jar fillers


my tree has painted and glittered pinecones
as well as glass pinecone ornaments

they look great together
these are vintage - from the 30's and 40's -
pinecones have been popular for a long long time


marthastewart.com

this arrangement by Martha Stewart could be made
using either glass or real pinecones

marthastewart.com
another one from Martha
these frames were made by using the
individual petals of a pinecones to frame a photo
some embellished with gold beads
I think they are adorable and very simple to make

a giant pinecone, painted silver, is elegant as a bannister decoration


potterybarn.com

and another giant frosted pinecone takes on special importance under a dome



bhg.com

glass domes and vases seem to make even the most
humble materials look special


inspirationforhome.blogspot.com




southernhospitalityblog.com

but they also fill a bowl well, shared here with white ornaments and nuts



factorydirectcraft.com

and the white pinecones were created with a simple dip into
white latex paint (house paint?  I do believe I have some partially empty cans of that lying around)

I love pinecones added to florals
here with fragrant paperwhites


trendytree.com

and this silk arrangement works well with real pinecones


southernhospitalityblog.com

a single large pinecone, trimmed with a ribbon and some greenery
is perfect to hang on a doorknob



marthastewart.com

but a bunch hung with satin ribbon
is both natural and elegant



midwestliving.com

tuck them into a painted flower pot
to make an interesting centerpiece

midwestliving.com
or mantle decoration

or for a front door
(whether real or faux)



hgtv.com

I love the simple beauty of this use of pinecones


Marthastewart.com

and if you are ambitious - the little flowers made from
pinecone petals on these name tags are very sweet



ledolcevita.com

I particularly like these bigger pinecone blossoms
decorating hurricanes


hgtv.com

Here is a simple placecard idea



southernfareevents.com

These pinecone shaped ornaments are made with a styrofoam ball center
and bookpage petals



MarthaStewart.com

and these are made of felt
with a tutorial available

I don't know about you, but I am definitely adding some pinecone decor to my
Christmas plan this year.

Best wishes!





















5 comments:

  1. This certainly was an extensive look at the humble pinecone. Very thorough with lots of great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The humble pine cone shows itself to be full of dignity and grace! Sometimes it just needs a bit of jewelry and shimmer! This inspired me to run out and pick up a few bags to make some that sparkle. I already 5 gilded glittered ones that I absolutely love each year and so now I shall make some more...in pearlescent too, to keep out all year....why not? thank you for this post, it is a great example of pine cone's diversity! Lady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time for the pinecone again and I saved this page in my favorites and lo and behold it is a year later that I am coming back to review this post :D I never made the pearlescent ones but its a darn good idea especially now that I did my room with lots of white pearl paint lol. This time I'm spray painting the cones I went out to buy last year lol, white, and glittering the edges with silver glitter. I love that most of your comments on the examples above involved more sparkle and glitter which I entirely agree with! more sparkle for me pleeze! Still love this post! lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lady of the Woods... thanks for revisiting - I love pinecones and I would love to see the ones you made! Send some photos! your-nest@hotmail.com

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for all the lovely ideas, that had to have taken quite a while, but fun hopefully. We have several trees on our place to go cone hunting.

    ReplyDelete

Highly intelligent comments from amazing readers...

WHAT DID YOU MISS?

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...